Sunday, March 1, 2009

One step at a time

I've only been running for the past few years and even though I've always been fairly active, I never managed to get to grips with running. I figured that people were divided into 2 groups; those who ran and those who couldn't. Little did I know that it is something that you can learn!

When my Mum was dying with brain cancer, I figured that I needed some way of dealing with the stress and, seeing as my parents live in a quiet rural area of New Zealand, I decided to buy a pair of running shoes so that I could escape out of the house once a day to shake off the emotions that were choking me at the time. I was crap at running so figured I'd pick up some books from the local library and under the written guidance of NZ legend Arthur Lydiard I tried to become a runner. However, I wasn't able to run any longer than 5 minutes at a time and a lot of the information in the book was too scientific so, by the time I returned to Canada, I decided it would be best to simply join a running class 101 and start at the beginning.

And so the journey began.

No comments:

Post a Comment